Saturday, February 2, 2008

Looking for a president in the Muslim world



Greg Sargent highlighted this video of Obama giving a press conference in which he discussed the impact he would have as an ambassador to Muslim countries. In the clip, Obama said, "I think the world would see me as a different kind of president; someone who could see the world through their eyes."

This is an issue that hasn't received as much attention as it should. I think he's exactly right. I think this is a strong argument for why he would make a good president. I think he would be able to talk to the Muslim world in a way that none of the Republicans could, and Clinton probably couldn't either.

The problem, though, is the politics of it. I don't know how Obama sells this point while simultaneously fighting off the smears that he's a Muslim. It's a shame that he has to walk on eggshells about an issue that should make him appealing to American voters. Instead, though, I fear that by bringing up what should be a strength for him, he is also reminding people of why they would be scared of an Obama presidency.

(Sorry for referencing that awful Albert Brooks movie. I couldn't think of anything else.)

No comments: