Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Who cares?

In framing the message of this blog, I have tried not to acknowledge what I find to be stupid news stories, and try to focus on what is actually important in politics right now. I try to write about the message and the trends; how people are voting and why.

With the 24-hour news cycle, we are subjected not only to unimportant stories, but also analysis of the unimportant stories. The first two that come o my mind were stories from reputable newspapers dissecting Clinton's laugh and her blouse.

Well, now we have "The Snub."

When I woke up I saw a story about Obama walking away from Clinton at the State of the Union last night as she approached Sen. Kennedy. I shrugged and moved on. I assumed it would be over by midday. I, once again, gave the media too much credit.

It has turned into a thing. The blogs are all over it, including the Times. And it will surely be discussed in the next few days (certainly Chris Matthews will talk about it this afternoon).

But who, really cares? I like to stand up for the media. I think people don't understand how hard the job of a journalist is. But it's moments like these that I think the pundits deserve all the criticism they get. (Photo: New York Times)

No comments: