Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Last night

Surely there must be something to say about the results last night. With all the data, all the numbers, all the states that weighed in, some analysis is necessary. But I feel like it's not enough. There's not enough data, not enough numbers, not enough states.

I turned on the television, and the pundits don't know what to say either. The most insightful thing I heard came from Tim Russert who said that the only thing to say is that the race goes on.

It seems that if a winner must be declared, it's probably Obama. The longer the race goes, the better it is for him -- or so the thinking goes. He's certainly well funded, and the upcoming states seem to be on Obama's side, but I'm not going out on any limbs. And Clinton was always counting on having the race decided on February 5. That's what she said after Iowa, and that's how her campaign was designed.

What I know for sure, though, is that in sharp contrast to the Grand Old Party, the Democrats love their choice. I don't know any Democrats who have made their decision easily. I don't know any Democrats who aren't a little tempted by the other candidate.

The Republican race is essentially decided, but the identity of the party couldn't be more unclear. The reverse is true for the Democrats. The race is far from over, but this is a good time for the Democratic Party.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thin Man, count me as someone who made his decision easily. The thought of Billary in the White House is nauseating. Of course it would be a hell of a lot better than what we've got how. However, four years of cynicism, calculation, and fierce opposition will not push this country further. And, I actually have chosen Obama not only for his soaring rhetoric and lofty aspirations, but also for his intellect, vision of the world, moderate demeanor, management skills, and grasp of the issues.

On another note, I think one only needs to look at both speeches made last night by the Democratic candidates to make his or her decision. Obama's speech, per usual, was inspiring, motivational, about US and how WE can move forward and make changes in this country. It was about how WE have created a coalition of all demographics and political persuasions to win in November. On the other hand you have Hillary making the argument that SHE can fight the dirty, hard hitting game of politics more effectively....come on, to me it's a no brainer...let's move forward.
Peace

Anonymous said...

While watching Obama's speech last night one word came to mind: Flawless. I'm not naive in thinking that he hasn't, or won't make mistakes, but the way he speaks to his followers is truly amazing. He was passionate and energizing 9no surprise there), but all the while remaining somewhat calm and definitely intriguing. I've seen a lot of Obama's speeches, but never one as flawless as last night.

That said, I was surprisingly inspired by what Hillary had to say too. I've been a critic of her speeches, finding them to be overly scripted and lacking in the personality an passion. Last night she seemed relaxed and for the first time, truly enjoying her moment. So, the decision for me is still an easy one, but it makes it a heck of lot easier when the worst case scenario is still a pretty good option.

Anonymous said...

I cannot begin to comprehend why anyone would take Hillary over Obama. Don't forget that prior to being an emotional favorite, Obama was the thinking man's candidate (Biden notwithstanding). Just because he's dived into his roll as lofty orator/change-agent doesn't mean he's no longer the smartest and most principled candidate for the left.

I suppose I'd agree that my dislike for Hillary might not be as great as Ann Coulter's hatred for McCain. But I think there are some Democrats and certainly Independents who would vote for McCain over Hillary.

Anonymous said...

Well, that would be a mistake. McCain would be an interesting guy to have over for Christmas dinner, but we're talking about the President of the United States for crying out loud! Hillary is still a better choice for that than McCain.

Anonymous said...

I actually thought Hillary's speech seemed highly scripted and uninspiring. Not one of her best.

As for McCain vs. Clinton, if it were'nt for the War I would think about voting for McCain in that matchup. As it is, I'm going to have a very dificult time filling the bubble for Hillary. I hope it doesn't come down to that.