Thursday, August 28, 2008

Acclamation

I finally made it to the convention floor yesterday. Everyone by now knows what kind of night it was. There are no adjectives I could write that haven't been written. I'll leave the descriptions of the Clinton speech, the Biden speech, the Kerry speech (everyone should check it out if they haven't already) and the surprise of Obama showing up at the end to the professionals. Instead of trying to describe what it was like standing there in person, I want to tell you about events earlier in the day that may not have received the same coverage as the big speeches.

Having heard about the long lines and tight security, I decided to go when the doors opened at 3. People slowly trickled in. I found a spot behind the Illinois delegation and stood until they kicked me out. I was told to move as the delegations began to announce their votes. I eventually made my way to the Pennsylvania delegation where I found a pocket of delegates standing behind the allotted seats. I stood next to Franco Harris and behind Morgan Fairchild. She was passing her phone to Governor Ed Rendell.

Each delegation stood, in alphabetical order. The tension was palpable. The entire hall seemed to hold its breath, hoping the states wouldn't give too many votes to Clinton. Each time a delegation gave votes to Obama, an ovation would follow.

A few announcements left us scratching our heads. California, led by Barbara Boxer passed. As did Mayor Daley and the Illinois delegation. We had heard rumors that the counting of the votes would end with New York, but I, at least, didn't know how that was going to happen.

By the time New Mexico announced, the Pennsylvanians started to stir, knowing their time was coming. New Mexico decided to give its votes to Illinois, the home state of Obama. Daley grabbed the mic again and announced that he was transferring the Prairie State's votes to the home state of Senator Clinton.

The cameras shifted to New York, and a roar went out as Clinton, Chuck Schumer and Charles Rangel appeared on the Pepsi Center screens. Clinton asked that Obama be named the nominee by acclamation. The place went crazy. The photo above is of Rendell grabbing the Pennsylvania post and shaking it as hard as he could. Someone nearby him said, "Governor, they're not going to count our votes." Rendell turned and said, "I don't think anyone gives a shit."

It was the most amazing moment of the day, as far as I'm concerned. I haven't had much exposure to the media since I've been here, but I'm assuming this moment has not received the coverage it deserves. If you missed it, check out the video here:

No comments: