Monday, February 18, 2008

The Edwards plan

A loyal reader asked me today if Obama's meeting with Edwards was more about being offered the vice presidency than anything else. I don't buy it for a few reasons. First of all, I don't think anyone wants to have Edwards on the ticket as the VP again, possibly even including Edwards. I think its much more likely that Edwards would be promised a cabinet position, such as attorney general.

Second of all, Obama's visit got all the press, but we shouldn't forget that Clinton and Edwards have already had their meeting. There's more excitement around the Obama-Edwards meeting because there's more excitement around anything Obama does. But they are 1-1 on the meeting with Edwards scorecard.

Third and most importantly, I don't think it's at all inevitable that Edwards is going to choose Obama. Edwards wants a role in the next administration, so if he thinks Clinton has a better chance at winning, he would be wise to endorse her. The AP story on the meetings reported that the Edwardses have been more impressed with Clinton's courting.

But the timing will be interesting. If Edwards endorses now, he can probably get a deal with the candidate he chooses and be guaranteed a role in 2009. If he plays it safe and waits to make sure he backs the winner, he risks being irrelevant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Edwards endorses Clinton it will verify the skepticism I've always had for him. I never could quite trust him. I was really coming around to him, however, by the end of his involvment in the race. An endorsment after all his talk about fighting the special interests, changing washington, looking out for the little guy, etc. will be a farce.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Clyde. I don't see how he can back her. But, I also agree with the Thin Man, that he runs a risk by waiting too long. Additionally, I don't buy the AP story that the Edwards' have been more impressed with the Clintons thus far. There's no way anyone really knows what's going on inside the Edwards house.