Wednesday, January 9, 2008

It's about time

It wasn't until this morning that I was reminded that last night solidified the long-held assumption that the Democratic nominee, and probably the favorite to be the next president, will be either a woman or a black man. This is a two-person race, and the two people just happen to be people who would never have been considered a generation ago.

But I think what's even more amazing is that it took me a while to realize this. It's not shocking to me. It doesn't seem surprising that a woman or black man could be president. Why not? My generation wasn't around for Martin Luther King and SNCC; Gloria Steinem and burning bras. Sure this is a moment that the country should pause and recognize, but it's also worth noting that many of us have been ready for a long time. (Photo courtesy of Time)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I was around for Martin Luther King, and I've still been waiting for a long time...

Also, they make a cute couple, don't you think?