Monday, April 14, 2008

Republican called Obama "Boy"


Ben Smith noted that at the Northern Kentucky Lincoln Day dinner, Rep. Geoff Davis called Obama a "snake oil salesman" and said: "I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button." Wow.

The Senate's Minority Leader and one of the leaders of the Republican Party, Mitch McConnell, was at the event.

Update: CNN is reporting that Davis has written an apology to Obama. From CNN's report:

In a letter to Obama, Kentucky Rep. Geoff Davis said his “poor choice of words is regrettable and was in no way meant to impugn you or your integrity. I offer my sincere apology to you and ask for your forgiveness. ….

“My comment… in no way reflects the personal and professional respect I have for you.”

I'm glad Rep. Davis wrote the apology and I see how he can claim it was a "poor choice of words" (certainly Obama can sympathize), but how he can still claim he has "personal and professional respect" for Obama is beyond me.

No comments: