Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Clinton's new moment

Clinton was just asked about trade. The question came 15 minutes into the debate after another lively discussion about health care. She looked annoyed at the question and took the opportunity to make what I'm sure was a planned statement.

She referenced a Saturday Night Live skit and said that it was interesting that she always gets the first question. She joked that Obama should have a pillow and pointedly suggested that he gets soft questions.

It was scripted. It was awkward. Everyone, including Obama, looked surprised at the statement. The previously silent audience offered a few boos.

Maybe the rest of the debate will produce a more telling moment, but I doubt it. Until now, I think the talk of her campaign's turmoil have been overblown. I don't believe that she is in as dire a position as the media says she is. But given that, she just bombed. She looked desperate, and I think this was the moment that will define what may be the last serious week of her debate.

I'll put up a transcript when it's available, with a youtube clip sure to follow, though I have a feeling this will be played so often that we will all know this by heart by Thursday.

No comments: